Go to footer

Gear up!

Superman / Lois & Clark / Smallville FanFiction in English, en Français, in Italiano, en Español,...

Gear up!

Beitragvon C_K_unlimited » Di 31. Jul 2012, 12:04

Title: Gear up!
prompt: ocean
author: C_K_unlimited (a.k.a. barb1808)
word count: 1227
fandom: Superman Returns (with a slight Justice League angle)

A/N: I apologize for a slight OOCness, in my head canon it makes sense. :P
Big “Thank you!!” to Rep for betaing! :hug:

This story was once again written for the ficgrab over at eyesskyward.com this time for the July 2012 edition. (It's posted there already so I took the liberty to crosspost it here.)

Disclaimer: Neither Superman nor Batman nor any of the other heroes belong to me. Also I don't hold any rights to the places they live in. I just like playing with them hopefully for everybody's entertainment. Besides if I did have any saying we would have a Justice league movie already. ;)

GEAR UP!

While the darkness of the night faded and gave way to the early morning two figures stood at the beginning of the broken wood pier in Metropolis Harbor. Both had large capes billowing in the fresh breeze behind them. One a dark red and the other a simple black. Their gazes swept over the wooden structure before them and then on to the joyfully dancing waves rocking some boats to the right and getting larger further out in the open sea.

“You're alright now?”
The slight rasp from under the black cowl broke the silence between the men.

The taller man next to him nodded once and replied softly in his widely known baritone:
“Yeah. - Mostly.”

Batman's head jerked up and his eyes searched his friend's face. Hearing the movement and sensing the unspoken question Superman explained further:
“Physically I'm alright as long as I stay far enough from the shards in the sea. But I still feel out of place and somehow inadequate.”

With a short glance he saw that the Dark Knight had fully turned to face him now waiting for him to go on. His stance indicated that the Kryptonian had the other hero's full attention. Taking a deep breath he continued:
“It's not even a week and I already heard rumors of some criminals trying to dive down and get the kryptonite that fell off - of … the island. Apparently they hope to either sell it for a lot of money or use it against me themselves. One of them put himself in hospital because his air tank that he bought on the black market was filled with a faulty mixture.”

Superman turned to the water again and added in a bitter voice:
“And all the while I've been searching for Luthor and couldn't find him. The fuel of his helicopter must've run out at some point. He should be grounded somewhere by now. I don't think he'd risk drowning, so he must've landed on a landmass or a boat. I really hope it's the former. Because if it's the latter all my calculations are in vain.”

His halting voice was getting emotional, slightly louder and Kal-El started speaking faster. His gaze was fixed into the distance somewhere out in the water where Batman could only make out the line between water and sky.

“I can't be everywhere at once, B. There are bigger and smaller catastrophes that people expect me to help with now that I'm back and I can't do anything about the guys diving for kryptonite. I tried it, really I did. But every time I fly over the area close to the water surface I nearly throw up. - I honestly don't think it's just the radiation that does it. I mean I did manage to bring that … monstrosity into space but … There certainly is some radiation in that area but it shouldn't be that strong.”

Almost in a whisper Superman added:
“And every time I fly over there I'm reminded of my failure, of the fact that...”

“Stop it!”
Surprised by the harsh command the Kryptonian closed his mouth. A little softer and with a certain urgency Batman continued.

“You're just one man! You are Superman, yes. But everyone in their right mind knows that you're just one. That's the reason we need the league. While you were gone several people stepped more or less out of the shadows trying to take up the slack. But nobody can do it completely alone. Even I rely on Gordon and his men. I think it's time to start with uniting the so called superheroes! We're going to split the work and we're going to find Luthor.”

Looking at his companion Superman processed what he said. A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.
“Since when are you advertising group work, B?”

The same smile could be detected on the mouth visible below the cowl.

“Since I realized that having some back-up is a good idea. - I could just help you out alone. I do have access to an underwater ship that could collect and store the kryptonite. I also do have some mean hacking skills and a great computer. But in the meantime all those idiots would tear apart Gotham again. So I say we split the work so everyone only needs to give a little of their time. - Besides I don't want you to disappear again.”

That last statement made a warm shudder go through Kal-El's insides. Teasingly he replied:
“Don't tell me you missed me.”

“Don't even go there, Boy Scout!”
Was there a blush creeping out under the mask?

Clearing his throat a little Batman quickly changed gear and was all business again.

“So about the kryptonite: I think we could give that task to that fish guy, Aquaman. I mean he lives in the water so I suppose he's the best at it. Maybe that idiotic moron with the ring could help him with it.”

“You mean Green Lantern?” A thoughtful expression crossed Superman's face.
“Yeah, I think those two would be the best choices, ability wise. If Green Lantern's really here. As far as I know he has to look over several other planets too. So maybe he's...”

“He's here.” One more time Batman interrupted the Kryptonian with a firm voice.
“I talked to him the other day.”

Speechless Superman looked at his friend. Bruce really had changed since they last spoke.

“I think you and I have a little catching-up to do, when we have time.”

The hesitant statement was met with a brief eye contact and a firm nod accompanied by the casual reply:
“Yes, but let's start looking for Luthor first. I've got some maps in the car.”

Turning around Batman didn't even check if Superman was following him. He just went in the direction of his black tumbler parked nearby. Hesitating for a second Clark swept another look over the area. The first rays of sun painted the sky in pale blue, yellow and pinkish orange illuminating the water below and making it easier to see the different colors of grass, concrete, wood and stone. So many things had changed on this planet. So many things he felt cut off of. But somehow the man he had least expected to had given him a feeling of being connected again.

A cooperation of superheroes – he would be one of several others again. Yeah, that didn't sound so bad. With a smile and a slight spring to his step Superman followed his colleague to the car, his heart lighter than earlier in the night. They still were only a few trying to stop bad things and criminals … but they weren't alone. Behind him the waves still gurgled against the breakwater wall lapping at half broken wood and further out the ocean hid its secrets and covered several greenish black crystal chips waiting on the ground for what was to come.

THE END
Bild
C_K_unlimited

Ressortleiter
Ressortleiter

Mein Superman: fliegt

Zurück zu Foren-Übersicht

Zurück zu Foreign-Language FanFiction