Go to footer

Retirement arrangements [Smallville]

Superman / Lois & Clark / Smallville FanFiction in English, en Français, in Italiano, en Español,...

Retirement arrangements [Smallville]

Beitragvon C_K_unlimited » Sa 12. Jun 2010, 12:23

RETIREMENT ARRANGEMENTS

SMALLVILE, Situation like season 6: Clark doesn't have a real job, Chloe works at the Planet, Lois
for the Inquisitor, Lana has married Lex, Martha is senator and Lionel is just Lionel who knows
Clark's secret but no one knows what he is going to do with that knowledge and a 'special guest'
from another continuity

A/N: This is the English translation of Altersvorsorge which I wrote for the German FicGrab in July 2009. I translated it for Brdwaybebe who started the original ficgrabs at The Planet and contiues them now at our partner forum eyesskyward.com. The promt for this story was 'retirement arrangements' and this is the second fanfic I ever wrote.

Thank you to Kitkaos for beating the German version and to Metropolis for betaing the English version.

Disclaimer: I do not hold any rights on any of the characters, I only play in others' sandboxes.

~

It's knocking at the door of the Kent-farm.

Clark thinks about opening or not and leaving at super speed instead for meeting Chloe at the
Planet. As always he's already late. But on the other hand his mum is waiting for some important
documents via registered mail and it would be intricate to get them at the post office. So he opens.

But in front of the door is not Keith the postman but a man with briefcase, tie and glasses that are
always gliding down his nose. This man somehow reminds Clark of someone but he doesn't know
whom. „Hello, I'm Clark, Kent Clark.“ Clark looks dumbfounded at the stranger who explains with
an enthusiastic undertone: „I am from StayAlive and I'd like to talk with you about your retirement
arrangements. We have some offers we can adapt especially for YOU so that YOU can enjoy your
life today and when you're aged.“

Oh Lord, an insurance agent! Why didn't he use his x-ray vision first to check who was there? Clark
tries to get politely rid of the agent: „I already have my retirement arrangements. Thank you! Have
a nice day!“

Hopefully that guy didn't realize that Clark was less than honest, after all since he stopped studying
he's been working on the farm, had helped to rebuild Metropolis after Dark Thursday and has been
chasing escaped criminals from the phantom zone.

Returning to the kitchen Mr. Clark had taken place already there and is pouring himself with the
greatest matter of course a cup of coffee.

Puzzled Clark looks at him: „What the...? How...?“

„Super speed“ the stranger answers smiling. „Clark Kent especially YOU should know that.“

Clark switches immediately to his usual defending mode. How could this guy dare to just enter his
kitchen and talk about things he wasn't supposed to know?! ... Lionel! He must have sent him to
learn more about Clark's secret. But then this man doesn't go with the other ones working for
Lionel. He seems too honest and awkward for that.

„You can trust me Kal-El. I know you and your secret. I know so much of you that even yourself
aren't aware of, not yet.“

„How do you know that name?“ Clark is too dumbfounded to deny his secret any longer.

„Jor-El told me. He sent a spaceship from the planet Krypton to earth. In this ship was his son
whom he wanted to save.“

Clark looks at the stranger with unbelieving eyes. How could he know all those things? Chloe
wouldn't tell anyone that was for sure. And as far as Clark knew Lionel didn't know such details.

„Did you know Dr. Swann?“

„No. Neither do I know nor did I know a Dr. Swann. Why?“

„So did Lionel Luthor tell you all that stuff?“ Slowly Clark's perplexity turns to impatience and
anger. Disabled to move or take a seat Clark shifts his weight from one leg to the other.

„Lionel Luthor? Like in Lex Luthor?“ It seems to Clark that there is a tiny bit of suspiciousness in
the uninvited guest's voice.

„Yes. Lionel is Lex's father.“

„I just know a Lex Luthor. And I could do quite well without him.“ Now the voice of Clark's
opponent sounds like a distant thunder.

„So Lex sent you?“

„No. I sent myself because you really should do something for your future.“

The sound of Clark's ringing cell phone cuts Mr. Clark off. It's Chloe. „I'm sorry but I really should
answer that one.“ With an inviting gesture of his hand Mr. Clark gives his 'okay'.

„Hi Chloe. I'm really sorry for being late again but I just can't go now.“ Clark says hoping against
hope to keep this conversation short.

„Clark I know you have a lot to do but if you don't come here Lois will be in severe danger.“ Chloe
can't be dismissed that easy.

„Lois? What happened?“ Clark's inner alarm rings instantly.

„She's chasing Green Arrow again and pleased me to help her. She feels that I know more than I
can say and as long as she continues to bother me with it I cannot guarantee for anything.“

„Chloe, I really can't help you in this case. As long as Lois is not in real danger I can't do anything. I
have other things to arrange here.“ Clark is annoyed. Why does Lois always have to sniff in things
that aren't for her?! And why does she always have to choose the wrong time to do so?

„Clark, since when are you so mysterious again? You're talking to me, Chloe, who knows your
secret and keeps it safe for quite a while now. Did you forget that?“

„I know but I just can't talk right now.“

„Is Lana with you?“ Chloe gets suspicious and a little alarmed.

„Lana?“ Clark is taken by surprise. „No. It's nothing that deals with Lana.“

„Are you sure?“

„Yes. Chloe, I'll explain everything to you as soon as I can. I promise. And please tell Oliver that
Lois is chasing Green Arrow again.“

„He already knows that. After all Watchtower unofficially is always online.“

„Thanks Chloe! Bye.“ Relieved Clark hangs up the phone. This conversation could have endured a
lot longer. After all Chloe had become suspicious.

„So Lois Lane is completely being herself and pell-mell jumping into a story.“ A tiny smile appears
around Mr. Clark's lips while saying this.

„You know Lois Lane?“

„Yes, but a slightly different one.“

„How can I take that? Who are you really?“

„I've got several names. Lois for instance came up with the name Superman.“

„So like Green Arrow you have several identities. But I'm not surprised that Lois gave you that
alias.“

„Yeah, she's quite creative there. And yes, I have different identities to protect my everyday life and
my friends. Back to my names: My birth-parents called me Kal-El and my adoptive parents Clark
Kent. I am you.“

Clark's eyes dilate and he takes a deep breath. This can't be true. It has to be a very bad joke! But
who would joke about his secret? Maybe it IS Lionel after all? „I don't really understand.“

Mr. Clark takes of his glasses and puts them on the table. Clark looks in his face and now he
realizes the resemblance between himself and his opponent. Of course. That's why he felt like
knowing this man! His figure, hair and especially the eyes seem to be able to look through anything
and to the bottom of his soul. Behind the thick frame of the glasses all this was hidden.

Forthright the older Clark looks back. „You'll have a complicated but wonderful life. It won't be as
normal as you wish, but you'll be able to change things. You will be an inspiration for many people
and very close to Lois.“

„What's so good about that? She always pushes me around.“

„Yeah, but you'll get used to that.“ smiles Clark's opponent. „You'll even like it. At least I do. And
Lois will love you. She just won't appreciate it. Don't be afraid Clark! Your future has many things
to offer to you.“

„I'm not afraid. Although a life with Lois seems to be scary enough. I just don't know what is
waiting for me and what I'm supposed to do. How can I live a normal life like everybody else and
use my abilities for the good in the same time?“

„You'll figure that out. You won't hide forever in this loft, in your barn. A whole new world is
waiting for you in Metropolis. Come with me!“

Together the two step out on the porch and Clark, dazzled by the sunlight, is feeling how his older
self takes himself under the arms and lifts him up. They fly above the Kent-Farm and Smallville and
higher and higher towards the sun. Clark twinkles against the light but everything he can catch is
the kryptonian symbol of his family in red and yellow surrounded by blue. And in his ears it rattles
like a waving cape.

Through the rattling he can hear familiar voices: „He comes around.“ Lionel Luthor sounds
relieved. „Clark, I've been so worried about you!“ His mum takes a deep breath. „Lucky us, that
Shelby got your track. We would have never found you under all those stones. Not that any of us
has x-ray vision.“ Although being relieved Chloe cannot restrain the slightly sarcastic undertone in
her voice.

„What happened?“ Clark looks around, dazed. „You had felt into a cave and were covered by stones
and kryptonite. Shelby found you and Chloe and Lionel pulled you out.“ Lionel completes Martha's
explication: „You've been badly injured, son.“ Clark rubs his eyes and mumbles: „What you
fantasize when you're passed out...“ And he says aloud to the ones surrounding him: „Thank you! I
think you saved my life.“

END
Bild
C_K_unlimited

Ressortleiter
Ressortleiter

Mein Superman: fliegt

Zurück zu Foren-Übersicht

Zurück zu Foreign-Language FanFiction